Wednesday, August 21, 2013

August travels

Wow, it's been awhile since I've had a post up!  I've continued traveling around to visit family and friends.  After Vancouver, I worked for a week and then headed off again for another Canadian adventure.  Both my grandparents on my Dad's side live in Melville, Saskatchewan and Dad and I wanted to do a quick trip up North to visit them before I left for Australia.

The Tiger Lily is Saskatchewan's State Flower, and they were planted all over town

It took a 24 hr drive to get there, and between two drivers we were able to do it, but we were really tired once we arrived.  Thankfully the visit was very low-key and we mostly just relaxed/visited during our visit.  My Aunt Heather came over from Alberta to join in on the visit as well.  We had some delicious homemade meals done by Grandma, complete with delicious desserts.  One of the days I was in Melville happened to be "Saskatchewan Day".  The Heritage Museum has a tea out on the lawn every year to celebrate the occasion, and it was lucky that we were in town to attend.  Some people dressed up for the event, so Grandma encouraged me to wear her Victorian-style bright-orange Saskatchewan dress.  It's very bright and I felt a bit silly wearing it to the tea, but everyone seemed to get a kick out of it, plus I wasn't the only one dressed in period costume.

All dressed up at the Heritage Museum's tea

The visit to Saskatchewan was short but sweet, and after four days we made the 24 hr drive back to Kansas.  After such a long drive, you'd think I'd want a break from driving, but that wasn't the case.  I was lucky to have a free weekend so I headed North again (but not too far North).  I visited two former classmates who are both practicing veterinarians in Nebraska.  We had a great visit for the weekend - it was really special for me because I wasn't sure if I'd get to see them again before I left for Australia.  Again, it was another great visit to see friends before leaving.

Such awesome girlfriends

I've been so fortunate to be able to travel and see friends and family before my big move.  I'm fully moved out of Manhattan now and living with my family in Wichita.  I'm winding down my social time, but I still have one more event planned.  Over Labor Day Weekend I'm going on a camping trip with friends, and then my flight leaves Thursday evening, Sept 5th.  I'm trying to enjoy the last two weeks here, but I'm still pretty stressed and nervous.  Here's hoping I can make the most of my time left in Kansas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment