Thursday, September 5, 2013

Flying out

I've been planning on today for the past four months now.  Months of sorting, packing, moving, planning and plenty of paperwork to go along with all of it.  It seems pretty unreal, but today I fly to Australia to start the next chapter of my life.

I'm somewhat excited, but mostly just nervous.  There is so much involved with moving to another country.  I had to close down everything I have here - close my apartment, move all my stuff, shut off my phone, etc.  And the daunting task ahead of me is setting it all back up once I get there.  I'm hoping to find a place with another PhD student there, but I honestly don't know what to expect.  I am exceptionally lucky that my boss and his family are willing to host me in their guest room until I have a place to stay.  Until then, my jobs will include starting an account at a local bank, setting up a cell phone and hopefully finding a bike for a relatively affordable price.  And of course, adjusting to the time difference will be a task in itself.  I'll be 15 hours ahead of my family back in Wichita, so that means it'll take a bit of planning to set up video calls and send texts at appropriate hours.

For now, my phone number is no longer in service.  But if you'd like to contact me, I'm available via facebook or email.  I have the "google hangouts" app with my gmail account signed in, so I am able to send and receive free text messages when I have wifi access.  It'll be tricky until I have a phone set up in Oz, but once I have regular phone service it should work very smoothly.

Hopefully the flight goes smoothly (all 20 hrs of it), and my bags arrive with no troubles.  I'm ready to get settled and find a normal routine, since I really haven't had a good routine since May.  I'm a creature of habits and routines, so it's been very distressing to be unstable like this for so long.  I also look forward to meeting new people and finding a good friend base, but I'll take things one step at a time so I don't get too overwhelmed.

See everyone on the other side!!








No comments:

Post a Comment